May 2016 iPhonetography
May was a busy month in which we either hosted or were traveling every weekend. (We were also out of town this past weekend — I’m looking forward to a few weekends of catchup at home the rest of June!). We hosted Mother’s Day for our parents and took a little weeklong vacation down to Murrells Inlet, SC, where my husband’s uncle has a vacation home. It was so nice to take a little family getaway with Ryan and our dog, both of whom love the beach! Our trip ended with there days in DC visiting our friends — every vacation should end with a couple of days of relaxing with your favorite people!
As usual, here’s a roundup in pictures of how we spent the past month. Many of these come from my private Instagram account, but you can follow along on my public account here.
1) Ryan has finally started to take a real interest in books. Previously, he had to be doing something to hold his attention while I read to him. Now, he grabs his favorite books and brings them to me to read and likes flipping through them on his own. I’m hopeful there will be another bibliophile in the family!
2) I’ve wanted to try a woven tart for a while, so I finally made it happen this year with rhubarb! Next up: zucchini.
3) Father’s Day gets the reputation as the grilling holiday, but around here, Mother’s Day is always a reason to light up the grill.
4) Mother’s Day photo with the little guy who made me a mom.
5) Ryan was an amazing nighttime sleeper from 12 weeks – 12 months, minus the 9-10 month sleep regression. Right as he turned a year, everything fell apart. We’re trying to get back on track with some gentle sleep training, so I’ll sit in a chair in his room and read to him until he falls asleep. Sometimes, he cries and cries but refuses to give in… until he straight up falls asleep standing on the edge of his crib.
6) Squirrel patrol.
7) The day Ryan can open and shut the kitchen door will be Dreidel’s favorite day.
8) Speaking of Dreidel, this is a dog who really knows how to make herself comfortable.
9) Ryan went swimming every day on vacation and had a blast! His swim lessons are going great and he’s such a little fish in the water.
10) Family vacation photo!
11) Little guy is into everything these days, especially pulling all the pots and pans out of the cabinets in the vacation house.
12) We love Huntington Beach State Park in Murrells Inlet – beautiful beach and dog friendly!
13) Beach baby.
14) We took Ryan on a little touristy tour of DC and of course had to pause for a picture with the hippo statue at GW, since my husband and I are both proud GW alum. Raise High!
15) Ryan and his pal Russell had a blast playing with the splash pad.
16) I made a rich, gooey, decadent brownie pie for dinner with our neighbors. My plan was to photograph a leftover slice to share the recipe here. Except.. this was what was left after dinner. With only four people. Oink indeed.