No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
Easy to make and no bake, these chocolatey peanut butter oatmeal bars are also naturally gluten free. Perfect for gluten lovers and avoiders alike! The perfect make-ahead party dessert.
A few weeks ago, I happened to have two events in the same day with individuals who are gluten free. I figured it would be easy to make a double batch of some sort of dessert, and bring half to each.
I spent a little while perusing some gluten free recipe sites. Xanthan gum? Coconut flour? Arrowroot starch? Yikes! In the end, I decided it just wasn’t the right time for me to dive headfirst into gluten free baking.
More and more of my friends are choosing to embrace the gluten free lifestyle, however. (A few who have been diagnosed with Celiac, others because it seems to be the new trend.)
I’m sure I’ll experiment with gluten free baking in the future, but the day before the events didn’t seem the right time to start.
Instead, I decided to resurrect an old college favorite: no bake peanut butter oatmeal bars. These are easy, delicious, and total crowd pleasers.
An oatmeal-based “crust” with a middle layer of melted chocolate and peanut butter. A subtle peanut butter flavor, not a BAM in your face flavor – it’s juuuuuust right.
If you’re making these for someone who is gluten free, just make sure you used certified gluten free ingredients. While oatmeal and peanut butter are naturally safe, some packaging plants contain contaminants.
Not only are these bars easy, but they last quite well so you can make them ahead of time. Win-win! We kept a few leftovers in our fridge and my husband and I continued to enjoy them for another two weeks. (Talk about having a lot of willpower to get them to last that long!)
You can also freeze the bars if you want to save them for later or just pull one out when the craving hits. Wrap the bars individually in plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminum foil and store in a freezer bag.
So let’s review. Naturally gluten free, no expensive or hard to find ingredients necessary. No bake, so no need to even turn on your oven. Make ahead, so you can prep them well before a party. Freezer friendly, to store a few for later. And did I mention chocolate and peanut butter, arguably the most loved flavor combination of all time?
Dare I say we have the perfect easy dessert? I think I do.
More Peanut Butter Desserts:
- Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Dip
- Peanut Butter Crunch Brownies
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Pretzel Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cake
No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
Easy to make and no bake, chocolatey peanut butter oatmeal bars are the perfect party dessert!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Grease a 9 x 9 inch square pan.
- Using a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Once combined, turn the heat down to low and stir in the oats. Continue to cook over low heat for several more minutes, stirring to coat the oats, until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Spread half the oat mixture into the 9×9 inch pan, and press the oats down well using the back of a spoon.
- Combine the chopped chocolate and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring well, until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour this over the oats in the pan, spreading evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the chocolate, pressing gently to form a solid layer. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before cutting into 16 bars.