Spicy Butternut Squash Salad
Spicy butternut squash, green lentils, and turnip greens combine into one nutritional superfood salad! Delicious warm, cold, or room temperature.
The term “salad” applies here very loosely – the original recipe off of which this is based is served on a bed of arugula, making it kind of like a salad. And the original version looks very tasty, indeed… but I wanted something that packs more of a nutritional punch.
The original recipe calls for three tablespoons of olive oil and a cup of goat cheese, both of which have been reduced. It also calls for 4 cups of arugula, which I swapped out for 2 pounds (approximately 8 cups) of cooked turnip greens. Why turnip greens? Well, not only are they super tasty and usually pretty inexpensive, but they’re also kind of a nutritional “superfood” — one cup of turnip greens brings 5g of fiber, 2g of protein, 220% of daily Vitamin A, 66% vitamin C, 20% calcium, and all for a mere 29 calories. Turnip greens have one of the highest calcium levels of the cruciferous vegetables, which contributes to its bite — a definite peppery taste. I thought it would pair perfectly with a spicy dish, and this sure didn’t disappoint.
Spicy Squash “Salad”
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 3/4 cup green lentils
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds (~8 cups) turnip greens
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Soak lentils in cold water for 10 minutes. Drain, then cook in boiling water until tender but firm, about 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Toss butternut squash with cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet and spray lightly with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes, flip squash, and roast another 10 minutes.
- Place turnip greens in a large (very large) stock pot with one cup of water. Cover and heat over medium-low heat until wilted, 10-12 minutes.
- Combine lentils, squash, and turnip greens, and crumbled goat cheese in a large bowl. Toss with olive oil and red wine vinegar.