Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
On the grill or in the oven, these make-ahead crab stuffed mushrooms are a perfect side or appetizer. No breadcrumb filler means they’re gluten free, too!
Crab stuffed mushrooms are one of my toss-on-the-grill staples. It’s such a perfect (and easy!) side for nearly anything you can grill. Chicken? Check. Burgers? Check. Grilled steak salad? Yep, crab stuffed mushrooms are the perfect side.
No grill? No problem! Take it inside and bake them in your oven. And while I prefer them in giant mushroom caps as a side, the filling works just as well in bite-sized crimini mushrooms as a party appetizer.
Whether you go full size or bite size, or grill or bake, these are perfect for entertaining, since all the prep work can be done ahead of time. Make the filling and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
You can even go ahead and stuff your mushrooms ahead of time, too. Leave the stuffed mushrooms on a baking sheet and pop into the oven (or transfer to the grill) just before your guests arrive.
I really love these crab stuffed mushrooms because they are so heavily crab based. No breadcrumbs or oats or panko or other fillers here. Just crab, green onions, a little shredded cheese and mayo, and a sprinkle of fresh herbs. That’s it.
And speaking of crab — use your preference. I’ve made these with fresh crab, canned crab, and imitation faux-crab… all delicious. Judge away, but I’ll confess that I’m a fan of imitation crab. Those three-packs at Costco? All over it. (No shame here!)
Perfect for a side or appetizer, on the grill or in the oven, with fresh, canned, or imitation crab. However you make it, these crab stuffed mushrooms are a great choice for your next dinner or party!
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
On the grill or in the oven, these make-ahead crab stuffed mushrooms are a perfect side or appetizer.
- 8 large white mushrooms, stemmed (or 16-20 crimini mushrooms)
- 8 ounces crab meat (fresh, canned, or imitation)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh herbs of choice (I used oregano and sage from my garden)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 °F or grill to high heat.
- In a food processor, combine crab, green onions, herb, and pepper. Process just until combined (leave some lumps). Add in mayonnaise and parmesan cheese and stir to mix.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp towel and remove stems. Fill the mushroom caps with a rounded tablespoon or two of filling.
- If grilling, place the mushrooms on the grill over indirect heat for 10-15 minutes.. If baking, place mushrooms on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, followed by 2-3 minutes under the broiler until tops are dark (or bake for a full 15 minutes). Serve immediately.
Filling can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to two days. Uncooked stuffed mushrooms can be stored in the refrigerator for several hours before grilling or baking.
A Bunsen Burner Bakery Original Protocol