Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
The mintiest mint chocolate chip ice cream out there! A perfectly smooth and creamy base infused with extra mint flavor and just the right amount of chocolate chips.
We recently received a huge bunch of mint in our CSA share. Three things come to mind when you think of mint: mint juleps, mojitos, and mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Since my husband is in the middle of studying for his boards, I knew he wouldn’t be interested in drinking. Also, mint chocolate chip ice cream is one of my favorite things ever. So really, the choice was pretty obvious: mint chocolate chip ice cream.
In a sea of zucchini and kale, “having” to make ice cream to use up a CSA share? Yes, please! I used apple mint for this recipe, since it’s what we received in our CSA share. You can also use chocolate mint (my favorite!) or peppermint – but avoid spearmint if you want a classic mint chocolate chip flavor.
As someone who LOVES mint, this is the be-all-end-all recipes for mint chocolate chip ice cream. Seriously. I’m kiiiiind of an ice cream connoisseur (or at least someone who really, really loves ice cream and tries a lot of it) and this recipe is the tops.
Let’s talk about what makes this so good: real mint, seeped in cream and sugar. Step away from the bottle of mint extract. Back away slowly, and pick up some mint leaves. I promise, you will be blown away.
The base is amazingly smooth and creamy, thanks to an extra high percentage of heavy cream. The mint flavor is out of this world. There is the perfect ratio of chocolate chips to provide a little crunch and flavor, but not so much that the ice cream becomes more chocolate than mint.
And a few drops of green food coloring, because I firmly believe in that slightly nuclear green hue for my mint chocolate chip ice cream.
My husband, however, thought the mint was a little too overpowering. He is not, however, generally a fan of mint chocolate chip ice cream – so I don’t really think he has a valid opinion on this. 😉 It’s still his favorite thing I’ve made from our CSA share, though!
I love this mint chocolate chip ice cream so much, it’s become my annual birthday tradition. June means two things around here: a chocolate cheesecake for my husband’s birthday, and this mint chocolate chip ice cream for mine.
If you love mint, make this immediately. And Lancaster Farm Fresh, if you’re reading this, how about some more mint in another CSA box soon?
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
The mintiest chocolate chip ice cream out there! A perfectly smooth and creamy base infused with extra mint flavor and just the right amount of chocolate chips.
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups fresh mint leaves
- 5 drops green food coloring
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium low heat, stir together milk and cream. Add in mint leaves, slightly bruising leaves by crunching in a fist. Heat until steaming (not boiling!).
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture and whisk into the egg yolk mixture to temper the eggs. Pour the egg mixture back into the rest of the milk mixture, stirring constantly. Keep over low heat and cook until thickened, 5 to 6 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in food coloring and strain through a sieve into a large bowl.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Process the custard in an ice cream machine, adding the chopped chocolate during the last minute or two of churning. Freeze overnight until hard.
A Bunsen Burner Bakery Original Protocol