Berry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
Berry oatmeal crumble bars are the perfect use for fresh summer berries! A crispy oatmeal shell surrounding a sweet homemade berry jam – delicious with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries!
Summer’s here – and with it, all the delicious fresh summer produce! My favorite are all the BERRIES – I love blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. (Strawberries, you’re okay too.)
Do you ever have the “eyes bigger than your stomach” problem and buy all. the. berries. an then realize you can’t finish them up before they start to get a little mushy and soft? Worry no more – I’m here to help you with your berry overload.
I could probably eat fresh blueberries by the pound, so using up berries isn’t a problem I usually have. But if I did, these berry oatmeal crumble bars would be my favorite way to use up any extra berries!
I’ve tried these with all sorts of berries — blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and combinations involving all of the above. Every flavor combination has turned out delicious! The only possible way to make these any better? Serve with a big scoop of ice cream on top!
The crunchy oatmeal topping, the sweet jam-like filling – these berry oatmeal crumble bars are the perfect summery treat! Stop by your farmer’s market and pick up a pint or two of fresh berries to make these – long live summer.
Love summer fruit desserts? Don’t miss these!
Berry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
Berry oatmeal crumble bars are the perfect use for fresh summer berries! A crispy oatmeal shell surrounding a sweet homemade berry jam – delicious with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries.
- 3 cups fresh berries of choices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened and cut into large chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare filling, stir together berries and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until fruit is tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Stir into fruit mixture. Continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes until thick. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 9”x13” baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract. Cut ingredients together with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, or pulse for several seconds in a food processor. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of mixture in a medium bowl.
- Pour remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of the dish, spread evenly, and pat down. Place filling in dollops over crust and carefully spread to cover entire surface.
- Squeeze reserved crumb mixture into large clumps with fingers and sprinkle evenly over the top of the fruit filling.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.
A Bunsen Burner Bakery Original Protocol