Sweet & Spicy Chicken Skewers
Chicken and peppers marinated with honey, lime, and sriracha and grilled to perfection. Sweet and spicy chicken skewers for dinner in just 20 minutes!
It’s summer, which means several evenings a week you’ll find me standing in front of our grill. I’ve been on a big kebob/skewer kick recently, because they’re just so easy.
Protein, veggies, and some kind of sauce, all strung and grilled together. No flipping each individual piece of pepper or multiple chicken parts.
Toss together a marinade the night before and chop the vegetables. Then all you have to do when you get home from work is fire up the grill, thread the chicken skewers, and by the time that’s done, the grill is hot enough to start. 10 – 15 minutes of cooking time and you’re done.
Sweet and spicy chicken skewers are served! It really doesn’t get any easier, and especially now that I’m juggling working and parenthood, I’m looking for things that minimize my time in the kitchen and maximize time spent with my baby boy.
These chicken skewers bring together the perfect amount of sweetness (honey), spicy (sriracha), and sour (lime) as a marinade for chicken thighs. You could use chicken breasts as well, but dark meat is much more flavorful and doesn’t dry out when grilled.
Add in some colorful bell peppers for a little extra crunch, sprinkle with some scallions, and a perfect quick, easy, summer dinner is ready.
Sweet & Spicy Chicken Skewers
Chicken and peppers marinated with honey, lime, and sriracha and grilled to perfection.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- zest and juice of 1 large lime
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2-inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 bell peppers, assorted colors, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 scallion, chopped
- In a food processor or blender, combine the soy sauce, honey, oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, ginger, Sriracha, and salt. Process until completely smooth. Pour 1/2 cup of this marinade into a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Combine the chicken and remaining marinade in a bowl and cover tightly with saran wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and grease the grill with an oiled paper towel.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto skewers, alternating with pieces of pepper. Brush some of the marinade remaining from overnight soak over the skewers, coating the peppers.
- Grill the skewers, covered, until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes of total grilling time. Transfer the skewers to a platter. Warm the reserved marinade pulled aside in a separate bowl in the microwave, and brush overtop of the skewers. Scatter the chopped scallions overtop and serve.
Recipe adapted from Once Upon A Chef